Log Cabin Cushion

Log Cabin Cushion
Kaffe Fassett Fabrics - Awesome!

Monday 16 August 2010

BAT Target Quilt


This quilt was created for display at the first ever Buxton Art Trail which took place at the beginning of the Buxton Festival in July 2010. I joined colleagues from New Mills Original Gallery in displaying work at Nat's Kitchen, a wonderful bistro just off the market place in Buxton.
The design is a variation on the traditional log cabin but the strips form complete rounds of colour and the light and dark contrast is alternated in full rounds. The inspiration came from a Kaffe Fassett design. All the fabrics are batiks. The finished quilt is 78" square.
I loved creating this quilt as it was very different from my usual interpretations. I tried to use more muted colours but the 'brights' kept creeping in. I had difficulty quilting it as my quilting frame barely takes a 75" quilt never mind one even bigger. The quilt frame kept tipping off the table as the machine got to the end of a run so I had to strap the frame to the table with a long metal tube. By the time I got to the last few runs I was only quilting in a space of about 3" as the bulk of the whole quilt on the top roller reduced the room under the throat of the machine. It took me a week to quilt and it was physically very hard. It was worth it because I loved the result. The difficulty that I have now is that I have become addicted to creating quilts. I need to make some smaller items but I can't work up the enthusiasm for doing them. I have two craft fairs in September and one in October and I can't just put out quilts!!!!